Project Duration: November 2020 - Present
About the Client
Self Help Africa (SHA)-Kenya is a dynamic international civil society organization based in Nairobi with its headquarters in Dublin, Ireland, having operations in 8 African countries across Eastern, Southern and West Africa. In Kenya, SHA’s track record stretches over 15 years working with smallholder farmers, farmer associations, cooperatives and small and medium sized enterprises in the agricultural sector.
Project: AgriFI Kenya Challenge Fund
The AgriFI Kenya Challenge Fund is a European Union initiative to support productive and market-integrated smallholder agriculture through the provision of financial support worth EUR 18,000,000 to agri-enterprises. The aim is to contribute to improvements in the capacity of smallholder farmers/pastoralists to practice environmentally sustainable and climate-smart agriculture as a business in inclusive value chains.
The overall objective of the AgriFI Kenya Challenge Fund is to improve the capacity of 100,000 smallholder farmers/pastoralists to practice environmentally sustainable and climate-smart agriculture as a business in inclusive value chains.
Self Help Africa needed a consultant to help them to visually document all their operations in the various parts of the country including Samburu, Mfangano, Kapenguria, Nakuru and Kisumu, the areas which were to be covered in the phase one of the project. The selected consultants were required to work in two teams simultaneously in two phases. Phase one entailed shooting of 6 profile videos (3 in featuring companies operating in hard to reach areas).
Admedia Communications Ltd assigned two teams; the first team working in Samburu, Mfangano and Kapenguria and the second team working in Nakuru and Kisumu respectively. The two teams worked simultaneously to:
- a) Review the organizational and project documents and briefs to ensure that the consultant understood the purpose of the project to ensure that they capture relevant and useful information during the interviews.
- b) Interview key project team members from Self Help Africa to capture their perception on the implementation and achievements of the project.
- c) Developed a story line / script to inform development of the videos and features.
- d) Collected and documented messages and photo stories that were used to enrich the videos and features.
- e) Visited the various sites and groups to interview the companies and farmers on their AgriFI projects.
Though the project came in on such a short notice, Admedia managed to complete and deliver all the project deliverables within the stipulated time (four weeks).
The materials included:
- a) 14 videos profiling the projects by the companies
- b) One video showcasing work in the hard to reach ASAL regions of Kenya.
- c) High resolution photos of each company.
- d) A summary video for all the projects