Duration: 2021, Jan 25th-29th
About the Client
The Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA) is an autonomous Think Tank established under an Act of Parliament that was established in May 1997 through a Legal Notice and commenced operations in June 1999. In January 2007, His Excellency the President signed the KIPPRA Bill into law, and the KIPPRA Act No. 15 of 2006 commenced on 1st February 2007. The overall goal and mandate of KIPPRA is to improve public policy-making for the realization of national development goals, through economic forecasting, policy analysis and research, and formulation of medium and long-term strategic perspectives for economic and social development.
In a fast-moving world, it’s essential to get everyone on board when it comes to aligning themselves with technology. However, there still exists such a disparity between private and public institutions when it comes to social media understanding, with most public institutions still lagging behind. That said, there’s a need to be a level playing ground between the two levels so as to create equity and smooth operations of the company activities when it comes to handling the company’s operations through social media.
With an experience of more than a decade when it comes to social media strategy, Admedia Communications Ltd was found to be the best fit for the job and contracted to conduct a week-long training for the KIPPRA Communications Team on Social Media Strategy Development. Apart from the basics of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, WhatsApp, Pinterest, YouTube, and Snapchat, we dived deep into very specific topics in regards to coming upwith working social media strategies. Among the topics that we covered include:
- Articulate the company vision through social media – Most Kenyans have never heard of KIPPRA and even the few who have heard of KIPPRA don’t know what they do. Social media is thus a powerful tool to get the word out there about who KIPPRA is, what they do, and their mission, vision, and objectives.
- How to use social media to connect – In this topic, we talked about how to create relevant industry-related posts and use them to attract the attention of industry influencers, peers, and potential partners.
- Use of social media to establish thought leadership – This topic covered ways to keep abreast with current news in the Public Policy Research and Analysis sector and creating a valuable contribution on related posts and letting people know how KIPPRA is responding.
- How to track meaningful social media metrics and how to conduct social media audit – This topic covered the best inbuilt and third-party tools that can be used to measure the success of the various social media campaigns.
- Creating a social media content calendar – Planning on what topics to post about and at what times to post, and organizing them in ways that will make work easier.
At the end, the team was able to develop a robust social media strategy for each of their platforms, use social media tools to amplify their campaign and track the effectiveness of their approach using key social media metrics.